About Dr. Battaglia
MEET MICHAEL J. BATTAGLIA MD
There is no substitute for experience.
Dr. Michael (Mike) Battaglia served as an orthopedic specialist at Bellevue Bone & Joint from 2009 to 2019 before going on to open his own practice. Prior to that, Dr. Battaglia was the Head Team Orthopedic Physician and Surgeon at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, and Orthopedic Staff Surgeon at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Battaglia also worked at Johns Hopkins University and the University of California San Diego as a clinical instructor. Dr. Battaglia graduated from Uniformed Services University in Bethesda in 1991.
DR. BATTAGLIA SELECTED FOR "BEST IN CLASS MD"
Michael J. Battaglia, MD, has been selected to be part of a nationwide concierge second opinion service for Orthopedic Surgeons. Only the top 1%, or 220 surgeons from across the country, have been invited to participate in the service. BICMD, or “Best In Class MD,” is the only healthcare platform founded by top doctors to solve the problems of the traditional healthcare system. Inside knowledge makes BICMD the best choice to access experts and get peace of mind.
One of Washington State’s top orthopedists, specializing in shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee arthroscopy.
Dr. Battaglia has a special passion for caring for student athletes and donates his time as the team physician for the Issaquah High School football team. While at the Naval Academy he gained experience operating on a vast number of Division IA NCAA athletes. Dr. Battaglia is proud of his military service. He is a retired Navy Captain (O-6) in the US Navy and he has cared for and operated on US Navy SEALS, Force Recon Marines, and the men and women serving in the Navy/Marine Corps. He was the chief orthopedic consultant for the SEAL teams on the west coast.
He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, Western Orthopaedic Association, and the Society of Military Orthopaedic Association.
Experience & Accomplishments
- He has a special expertise in Hip Arthroscopy with cutting-edge techniques for labral repair and joint preservation
- He helped to pioneer advanced techniques in shoulder surgery including arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff injuries, shoulder instability, dislocation, and management of shoulder arthritis with total joint replacement and impingement syndrome.
- He is experienced in using all types of grafts to reconstruct the knee and has written journal articles on knee ligament injuries (American Journal of Sports Medicine) and book chapters on revision ACL surgery(Insall-Surgery of the Knee). His most recent book chapter is pending publication.
- Dr. Battaglia performs all arthroscopic and all inside meniscal repair of the knee.
- He has experience in performing over 200 fresh osteochondral allograft procedures for cartilage defects
- Currently he is an editorial reviewer for three major orthopedic peer-reviewed journals to include American Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, and Orthopedics.
- Dr. Battaglia treats athletes of all ages and wants to get you back in the game